News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

Si5338 on-the-fly configuration from Microblaze

Started by sa_fpga, October 27, 2020, 01:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sa_fpga

Dear Trenz Support,

we are currently working on a project with a TE0712-02-200-2I module. The reference design "test board" explains how to configure the Si5338 on start-up using a Microblaze_MCS.  We would like to configure the Si5338 CLK0 output frequency on-the-fly from a Microblaze processor (no linux). I looked also trough the forum, but did not find exactly what we are looking for. Could you please point me into right direction if there is already an existing example project configuring the Si5338 on-the-fly?

Best Regards

JH

Hi,
on test_board design it's done by MCU (the smaller microblaze), it's a simple baremetal programm which reprogram SI5338 over I2C --> all source code is included into the reference design.

Reference CLK of the bigger microblaze depends on SI5338 CLK, so you can't use this microblaze to reprogram whole SI5338. Either you connect another external reference CLK to the bigger microblaze or you must modify SI code in this way that not the whole SI5338 will be reprogrammed.

PS: Bigger Microblaze can also start barmetal app instead of uboot/linux. Our Linux is only a example which shows directly ETH functionality.

br
John

sa_fpga

Dear JH,

thank you for the quick reply.

"or you must modify SI code in this way that not the whole SI5338 will be reprogrammed" - thats exactly what I am looking for.

"Bigger Microblaze can also start barmetal app instead of uboot/linux." -  yes, that how we are using the Microblaze.

The aim is to have a reconfigurable clock source used as a pixel clock for different video resulotions.

Best Regards

JH

Hi,
we haven't C code to change only some outputs, but maybe you can reuse some of our C code.
Here are some additional notes and links to SI5338 Documentation from SILab this should help to create your own procedure.
br
John

sa_fpga

JH