News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

Problem when debugging Zynq MPSoC with ILA

Started by johnabel, September 17, 2020, 09:47:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnabel

I have a Vivado design I want to debug with an ILA. I also need to debug the software simultaneously.
I connect the TE0808 board with the XMOD to a PC.
In Vivado I can connect using the Hw manager and program the chip with the bitstream.
As far as I know I should be able to debug in SDK simultaneously, but I get an error, what is the right procedure for debugging sw + ILA?

JH

Hi,
I would try out following:

• program PS and PL with SDK.
  • Connect debugger in SDK.
  • Open Vivado HW Manager
  • You should see ila core (if it's available in your design and you has a valid clk)
  • In case it's not done automatically load corresponding ltx file for your design

How you debug and use Ila on Xilinx device is more a general device depending question, which is independent from the module, maybe you should also write a post on the Xilinx forum?

br
John

br
John

johnabel

Ok, it is solved now.
I could connect the hw manager and kick the debug in SDK.
Why I couldn't before? I don't know... there was probably something funny that needed a reset.

JH

Hi,
QuoteWhy I couldn't before? I don't know... there was probably something funny that needed a reset.
ZynqMP itself has a lot of mechanism which can interrupted JTAG and  also Xilinx SW has some bugs (hw_server.exe crash sometimes) when you work with debugger and JTAG. So your ZynqMP design itself can block JTAG --> that's the reason why Xilinx mostly recommend to change to JTAG boot mode and restart the device before your work with JTAG and SDK debugger. That doesn't mean it can't be done in another way also but you have to be more careful.

br
John