News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

TE0790-03 Programmer with TE0720 and TE0741 Not working

Started by hossam84, August 04, 2020, 03:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hossam84

Hello,

Before posting my question I already checked and tried others solutions which didn't work for me. My issue is that when I use TE0790 Programmer with TE0720 and TE0741 then Vivado shows me Unknown_Device_0 (I found some one mention that it is for the CPLD though I programmed the CPLD with Swapped TX/RX and with default - BOTH didn't work -- The link I tried:  https://forum.trenz-electronic.de/index.php/topic,1029.msg4691.html#msg4691).
Also, I tried this https://forum.trenz-electronic.de/index.php?topic=981.0 and This https://forum.trenz-electronic.de/index.php/topic,981.msg4440.html#msg4440
I have done all the suggestions available.
When I use  TE0790-03 Programmer with TE0715 it works fine -- No problem.
We have many  TE0790-03 Programmer and I tried all of them and they didn't work with TE0720 and TE0741 (However, we tried very old TE0790-01 and it works with  TE0720)

Could you please help me to figure out what's going on -- I want to fix this issue because we have many modules to program (TE0720 and TE0741)

Thanks in advance

JH

Hi,

which carrier did you use?

I also expect you see the CPLD, the question is which one:

TE0790 itself has CPLD. Which TE0790 DIP settings do you use?

Also TE0720 and TE0741 has CPLD on the module, switching CPLD or FPGA into chain will be done with JTAGSEL Pin: https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/PD/4+x+5+SoM+Integration+Guide#id-4x5SoMIntegrationGuide-4x5ModuleControllerIOs

br
John

hossam84

We have our custom baseboard and I tested also with TEBA0841-02 base board and got same issue.

Which TE0790 DIP settings do you use?
The TE0790 DIP switch settings are: S1 on, S2 off, S3 off, S4 off.

Is JTAGSEL Pin connected to any DIP switches??--- which DIP switches in either TE0790 or TEBA0841-02 or TE0720.??

Name       |Module B2B Pin  |Carrier B2B    | Pin Direction (Module view)  | Description                                                                                                      |Recommendation
JTAGSEL   |JM1-89                | JB1-90         |  in                                        | JTAG Chain multiplexer. Low FPGA, High CPLD.  For module with CPLD only.     |Connect Pulldown on carrier. DIP switch possible.

I tracked this pin and I didn't find any switch to control it .....
In the TE0720 ---> JTAGMODE is connected to the CPLD Pin B9 --> connected to the B2B JM1 89 ---> connected the TEBA0841-02 Pin 90---> connected to JX1 Pin 9 (BOOTMODE) on TEBA0841 to be connected to the TE0790 ----> on the TE0790 - J2 XMOD Pin E is connected to the CPLD .......

How to disable this Pin --- ?
Which CPLD Do I need to reprogram to disable this Pin?

Thanks

JH

Hi,
QuoteWhich CPLD Do I need to reprogram to disable this Pin?
at the moment non of them.

At first use TE0790 only (not connected to any board) with DIP S1-1 ON, S1-2 OFF, S1-3 OFF, S1-4 ON
--> here is described what this means: https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/PD/TE0790+TRM#TE0790TRM-DIP-switch

You should only see Digilent Number in Vivado, when you connect JTAG on HW manager. Is it so?

On TEBA0841 is also a DIP set this on to S1-1 OFF,S1-2 OFF,S1-3 OFF,S1-4 OFF
--> see https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/PD/TEBA0841+TRM#TEBA0841TRM-DIP-Switch

Connect the TE0790 to the TEBA0841 and change TE0790 DIP S1-1 ON, S1-2 OFF, S1-3 OFF, S1-4 OFF
https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/PD/TEBA0841+TRM#TEBA0841TRM-XMODFTDIJTAG-AdapterHeaderJX1
power on carrier connect USB to TE0790 and check what you see in Vivado

QuoteIn the TE0720 ---> JTAGMODE is connected to the CPLD Pin B9 --> connected to the B2B JM1 89 ---> connected the TEBA0841-02 Pin 90---> connected to JX1 Pin 9 (BOOTMODE) on TEBA0841 to be connected to the TE0790 ----> on the TE0790 - J2 XMOD Pin E is connected to the CPLD .......
Where did you found this information?
TEB0841-02 Schematics page 2 BOOTMODE is connected to the DIP on the TEB0841
https://shop.trenz-electronic.de/en/Download/?path=Trenz_Electronic/Modules_and_Module_Carriers/4x5/4x5_Carriers/TEBA0841/REV02/Documents

br
John

hossam84

You should only see Digilent Number in Vivado, when you connect JTAG on HW manager. Is it so?
Yes, I can see the programmer. But for the target devices sometimes I see No Device and sometimes Unknown_Device_0.

I am confused what to do. I am almost tried most of the possibilities.

Connect the TE0790 to the TEBA0841 and change TE0790 DIP S1-1 ON, S1-2 OFF, S1-3 OFF, S1-4 OFF
power on carrier connect USB to TE0790 and check what you see in Vivado?

For TE0715 it works fine .... BUT ... for TE0720 and TE0741 then Vivado shows me Unknown_Device_0.

I just tracked this pin on the schematics of TE0790, TEBA0841 and TE0720.

Any suggestions are really appreciated..

Waiting for your response.

Thanks
Hossam

JH

I just tracked this pin on the schematics of TE0790, TEBA0841 and TE0720.

TEB0841-02 Schematics page 2 BOOTMODE is connected to the DIP on the TEB0841
https://shop.trenz-electronic.de/en/Download/?path=Trenz_Electronic/Modules_and_Module_Carriers/4x5/4x5_Carriers/TEBA0841/REV02/Documents
or see screenshot on the attachment. BOOTMODE signal is connected to DIP on PCB REV02. You use TEBA0841-02? Can you send me the serial number if the carrier(is on the small white sticker with QR code).

QuoteYou should only see Digilent Number in Vivado, when you connect JTAG on HW manager. Is it so?
Yes, I can see the programmer. But for the target devices sometimes I see No Device and sometimes Unknown_Device_0.
At first use TE0790 only (not connected to any board) with DIP S1-1 ON, S1-2 OFF, S1-3 OFF, S1-4 ON
--> means use XMOD only with exactly this DIP settings S1-1 ON, S1-2 OFF, S1-3 OFF, S1-4 ON. You should see only Digilent serielnumber and no devices should be visible.

QuoteI see No Device and sometimes Unknown_Device_0
You has changed DIP S1-1 as you see a unknown device or?

------------------------------
Please confirm that you see only Digilent Number when you use TE0790 standalone with DIP S1-1 ON, S1-2 OFF, S1-3 OFF, S1-4 ON

br
John

br
John

hossam84

Please confirm that you see only Digilent Number when you use TE0790 standalone with DIP S1-1 ON, S1-2 OFF, S1-3 OFF, S1-4 ON?

Yes, I confirm as you can see in the attached.

JH

Ok, so TE0790 is OK.

Please do following now:
1. On TEBA0841 carrier set  S1-1 OFF,S1-2 OFF,S1-3 OFF,S1-4 OFF --> Important I mean the DIP on the carrier here!
2. --> add TE0720 must be on the carrier, if not done.
2. add TE0790 and with TE0790 DIP  S1-1 OFF,S1-2 OFF,S1-3 OFF,S1-4 OFF  --> This means the DIP on the TE0790 programmer!
3. Connect USB cable to TE0790 and power on your TEBA0841

What did you see in Vivado HW now?

br
John

hossam84

I have done what you've mentioned and attached is what I saw on Vivado. (Unknown_Device_0.)

Regards,
Hossam

JH

Hi,
so you see the CPLD of the module.

Did you try to change CPLD Firmware of the TE0720 module?
Can you set on time TEB0841 S1-1 DIP from OFF to ON? Do you see the same?

Can you send me the serial number of the TEB0841 carrier please (small white sticker with QR code)?

TE0720 has some LEDs, can you tell me how the status of the LEDs are --> when all TEB0841-02 DIPs are OFF?
https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/PD/TE0720+CPLD#TE0720CPLD-LEDStatusCodes
--> positions: https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/PD/TE0720+TRM#TE0720TRM-MainComponents

br
John

hossam84

Did you try to change CPLD Firmware of the TE0720 module?
No.

Can you send me the serial number of the TEB0841 carrier please (small white sticker with QR code)?

TE0720 has some LEDs, can you tell me how the status of the LEDs are --> when all TEB0841-02 DIPs are OFF?
In either cases it gave me the same ... as following:
Green LED (DONE), D4 --- lit (ON)
Red LED (LED1), D5 --- lit (ON)
Green LED (LED2), D2 --- lit (ON)

JH

Can you send me the serial number of the TE0720 and if possible a photo with all DIP and Jumper settings?

br
John

hossam84

Please find the attached photos.

JH

Jumper for VCCB is missing, this bank voltage is need for TE0720, can you add this please.

set on TEBA0841 carrier set  S1-1 OFF   --> one picture it one on and one off, so I ask. This pin is used to switch between CPLD JTAG and a FPGA JTAG.

Does it works now?

Your module is from 2017. You are sure that nobody has changed CPLD Firmware.
If the missing Jumper doesn't help, we should try to reprogram CPLD one time again, here are some instructions and link to the download area:
https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/PD/TE0720+CPLD+Firmware
--> for reprogramming with TEBA0841, set S1-1 DIP of the carrier to ON, for TE0720 CPLD reprogramming after reprogramming power off set S1-1 to OFF and try again.

br
John

hossam84

Jumper for VCCB is missing, this bank voltage is need for TE0720, can you add this please.
I added the jumper for VCCB  3.3V setting. It doesn't make any difference.

set on TEBA0841 carrier set  S1-1 OFF   --> one picture it one on and one off, so I ask. This pin is used to switch between CPLD JTAG and a FPGA JTAG.

I tried both positions --> I couldn't program the CPLD on TE0720.

Does it works now?
Unfortunately, No.

Your module is from 2017. You are sure that nobody has changed CPLD Firmware.
Yes, I am sure. As I am the one opened it and used it. And I didn't program its CPLD before.

https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/PD/TE0720+CPLD+Firmware
--> for reprogramming with TEBA0841, set S1-1 DIP of the carrier to ON, for TE0720 CPLD reprogramming after reprogramming power off set S1-1 to OFF and try again.

I followed the instructions but I failed to program the CPLD see attached. ( I tried many times with different ways)

Regards,
Hossam

JH

Hi,
do you have other devices with JTAG connected on the PC?

--> Lattice output "Info- Multiple cable were detected"

Was auto detection working at first? -->table  Device  cell background with " LCMXO2-1200HC" is yellow at first an you must select this cell at first to verify this is correct?

QuoteI added the jumper for VCCB  3.3V setting. It doesn't make any difference.

LED status should be changed or? In this case I think CPLD is programmed.

QuoteI followed the instructions but I failed to program the CPLD see attached. ( I tried many times with different ways)
The only think what's sometimes need to changes (depends on the host PC, but I don't know why) is to select the second port (FTUSB-1) when you run cable detection.
Important is that TEBA0841 S1-1 DIP of the carrier to ON

If this not help, it can be that maybe your CPLD or the JTAG_EN Pin of the CPLD is damaged.

br
John

hossam84

do you have other devices with JTAG connected on the PC?
No, I am using only one JTAG when dealing with this issue.

Was auto detection working at first? -->table  Device  cell background with " LCMXO2-1200HC" is yellow at first an you must select this cell at first to verify this is correct?
No. I tried to select the device by myself and tried to program it.

LED status should be changed or? In this case I think CPLD is programmed.
LED status didn't changed.

The only thing what's sometimes need to changes (depends on the host PC, but I don't know why) is to select the second port (FTUSB-1) when you run cable detection.
I tried both --> Same errors as can be seen in the attached photos.

Important is that TEBA0841 S1-1 DIP of the carrier to ON
It is ON.

If this not help, it can be that maybe your CPLD or the JTAG_EN Pin of the CPLD is damaged.
I tried with new Module TE0720 (its serial 634997) and I got the same --- Also, I tried with TE0741 and it gave same issue... the JTAG programmer can't see the FPGA and also can't reprogram the CPLD with the TEBA0841  --
I suspect CPLD program issue with those modules (TE0720  and TE0741 - which I have) that can't handle the JTAGSEL (Or JTAGMODE).
What makes me crazy is that the TE0715 module is working nicely without any issue ---> could you please tell me why this happening (I am totally confused and don't understand why)?

Thanks in Advance
Hossam

JH

Hi,
did you closed all Xilinx programmes and checked that you "hw_server.exe" is closed on windows task manager? This prevent lattice tools to get access to JTAG.
https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/PD/TE0720+CPLD+Firmware#TE0720CPLDFirmware-CPLDFirmwareUpdate-GeneralProcedure

QuoteJumper for VCCB is missing, this bank voltage is need for TE0720, can you add this please.
I added the jumper for VCCB  3.3V setting. It doesn't make any difference.

--> check your pictures, VCCB Jumper is still missing! So LEDs will not changed!
This will not solve your problem but it's very hard to help you when you change permanently the conditions .....

Maybe the CPLD is still correct programmed and you has some other problem. 

QuoteWhat makes me crazy is that the TE0715 module is working nicely without any issue
JTAG is connected directly to FPGA --> see TE0715 schematics, CPLD access is over other IOs.

So I don't think the CPLD is damaged, you would have some problem with JTAG SEL pin.

Your module is from 2017, so I think it was working well for a while. Can you tell me what you has done use this issue appears?

br
John

hossam84

did you closed all Xilinx programmes and checked that you "hw_server.exe" is closed on windows task manager? This prevent lattice tools to get access to JTAG.
I usually close everything and check the task manager if it is still running --see photo.

--> check your pictures, VCCB Jumper is still missing! So LEDs will not changed!
I already tried with both situations VCCB Jumper was there but I tried without it and I took photo of the last trial and attached it.

JTAG is connected directly to FPGA --> see TE0715 schematics, CPLD access is over other IOs.

So I don't think the CPLD is damaged, you would have some problem with JTAG SEL pin.

How to override the JTAG SEL pin -- I want only access to the FPGA not CPLD ... Any suggestions??

Can you tell me what you has done use this issue appears?
We just tested our design with the TE0720 module(New one). We tried 4 JTAG programmer (three are TE0790-03 and one TE0790-02). Only TE0790-02 worked for a while (unstable -- sometimes can see the FPGA while sometimes not and at the end it stops seen the FPGA)

Regards,
Hossam

JH

Hi,
Quote--> check your pictures, VCCB Jumper is still missing! So LEDs will not changed!
I already tried with both situations VCCB Jumper was there but I tried without it and I took photo of the last trial and attached it.
Its stilll hard to help-->I do not see what you do and wenn you send me results from different condition without telling me what you has changed and under which condition you has done this step, than it's impossible to help!

So when you add VCCB and the LEDs has still the same status, than it can be that you has hold the board into rest or you has some connector problem...

QuoteWe just tested our design with the TE0720 module(New one). We tried 4 JTAG programmer (three are TE0790-03 and one TE0790-02). Only TE0790-02 worked for a while (unstable -- sometimes can see the FPGA while sometimes not and at the end it stops seen the FPGA)

--> I think this was on your carrier, or? Can you send me a part of the schematics to support@trenz-electronic.de   --> B2B connection, power sequencing and JTAG connection and which DIP settings you use on TE0790 with your custom carrier.

How do you remove the modules from the boards?

br
John

hossam84

I sent you email with our part of schematic. Could you please check and let me know if there is any suggestions.

Thanks,
Hossam

JH

Hi,
I got it but you didn't answered my other questions, from my last post.

I will answer on your email.

br
John

hossam84

So when you add VCCB and the LEDs has still the same status, than it can be that you has hold the board into rest or you has some connector problem...

I totally turn off in every test case. I made all tests with and without VCCB Jumper. What I got that I can't access the FPGA and CPLD.
Regarding the LED's I didn't notice any difference.

Thanks
Hossam