News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

Trouble with program TE0820-03 module with TE0703-06 carrier

Started by zhengrongzhang, July 21, 2020, 02:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zhengrongzhang

I currently work at TE0820-03 module with TE0703-06 carrier.

I can connect with FPGA, and see system monitor, but if i try program it, i always get warning message from VIVADO 2019.2.1:

"PL Power Status OFF, cannot program PL. Checke the POR_B signal is LOW or the BOOT mode is JTAG."

I double checked the DIP switch, my setting is:
1: ON
2: ON
3: ON
4: OFF

It should be the correct setting to program the FPGA on the module.
and another thing I didn't understand is all LED on carrier board are all OFF.

I check the document, there is no explanation if the LED are off.

I want to ask what is going on with my board? Why I can connect with hardware manager, but I can't program it?

zhengrongzhang

It is solved.

I am new to the Zynq system, so I didn't know I need first build a boot configuration then load into SD card, then boot from SD card.
After that I am able to program FPGA on module.

It is not very clear how to use the board, I suggest there should be a place can download boot image directly, and mention it in the document. (I generate it from the reference design)
Normally I expect development board has all configuration in the board file, but for Zynq, it isn't the case.

JH

Hi,
QuoteIt is solved.
good to hear that you got it running.

Quoteand another thing I didn't understand is all LED on carrier board are all OFF.

I check the document, there is no explanation if the LED are off.
https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/PD/TE0703+CPLD+-+CC703S#TE0703CPLDCC703S-LED

I am new to the Zynq system, so I didn't know I need first build a boot configuration then load into SD card, then boot from SD card.
After that I am able to program FPGA on module.
PS and PL(FPGA part) works together. PS will be not initialised with  bitstream. You must generate FSBL(which depends on your xsa export form your vivado project) which must be put into the Boot.bin to initilise PS, otherwise no PS-PL CLK or other PS interface is available.

Quote"PL Power Status OFF, cannot program PL. Checke the POR_B signal is LOW or the BOOT mode is JTAG."
This warning is wrong, in case the boot mode is not JTAG and zynq (PS part) is not programmed. PS Registers are wrong in this case and Xilinx suppress this waring only if Boot Mode is JTAG 

QuoteIt is not very clear how to use the board, I suggest there should be a place can download boot image directly, and mention it in the document. (I generate it from the reference design)
Normally I expect development board has all configuration in the board file, but for Zynq, it isn't the case.

We offer a reference design and also documentation:
https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/PD/TE0820+Test+Board

Board part files for the different assembly options are included, see also:
https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/PD/Vivado+Board+Part+Flow

br
John

zhengrongzhang

Hi John,

Thanks for response.

https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/PD/TE0703+CPLD+-+CC703S#TE0703CPLDCC703S-LED
The above page you mention, only explains if LEDs are blinking or on. There is no explanation on if the LEDs are off.
I suggest still nice to add one more status: the LEDs are off, means it wasn't configured.

Best regards,
Zhengrong

JH

Hi,

ETH connector LEDs should always blink  or are on otherwise you has a power problem or other CPLD Firmware.

LED D1 and D2 are blinking when you has a power problem from module, they are on when you change DIP to Module CPLD access otherwise it depends on your UART activity

LED D3 and D4 are blinking when you has a power problem from module, they are on when you change DIP to Module CPLD access otherwise LED status depends on your Module design (signals from B2B control these LEDs), in case your FPGA is not programmed, they will floating (depending on setup from FPGA)

br
John

zhengrongzhang

Hi John,

You said:
"ETH connector LEDs should always blink  or are on otherwise you has a power problem or other CPLD Firmware."

I had correct firmware version in the CPLD(updated it with newest version myself) and I didn't have a power problem. But all LED were off.
Because I didn't have the boot image in the SD card.

After I figure out I need have a boot image and did so, the LEDs work properly again.

So, I wonder if my case is exception, or it is designed like this? because my case doesn't match what you said.

Best regards,
Zhengrong

JH

Hi,
TE0703 CPLD source code:
https://shop.trenz-electronic.de/en/Download/?path=Trenz_Electronic/Modules_and_Module_Carriers/4x5/4x5_Carriers/TE0703/REV06/Firmware
->SC-PRJ-TE703-0203040506_CC0703S-02_20171013.zip
Binaries:
-->SC-PGM-TE703-0203040506_CC0703S-02_20171013.zip

ETH LEDs: line 208...211:

-- slow blink (yellow green), if Module CPLD Sel pin is selected
  -- fast blink (yellow),       if Module Power Problem occures
  -- LED Green,      QSPI Boot
  -- LED Orange,      SD Boot
PHY_LED1    <= '0'        when PGOOD='0' else cnt_i(24)      when CM0='1' else '1' when MIO0='1' else  '0';
PHY_LED1R   <= cnt_i(22)  when PGOOD='0' else not cnt_i(24)  when CM0='1' else '0' when MIO0='1' else  '1';
PHY_LED2    <= cnt_i(22)  when PGOOD='0' else cnt_i(24)      when CM0='1' else '0' when MIO0='1' else  '1';
PHY_LED2R   <= '0'        when PGOOD='0' else not cnt_i(24)  when CM0='1' else '1' when MIO0='1' else  '0';

So either they are blinking in different colors or they change color between green or orange.
See also schematics page 4:
https://shop.trenz-electronic.de/en/Download/?path=Trenz_Electronic/Modules_and_Module_Carriers/4x5/4x5_Carriers/TE0703/REV06/Documents
I didn't see a state where ETH  connector LEDs can be off or did I oversee something?

br
John