News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

What should be the boot trace from RS-232 Debug?

Started by krasimir.k, May 29, 2011, 08:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krasimir.k

Hello,
I power up my Eddy CPU ver. 2.5 and got only "RomBOOT" text from RS-232 Debug interface. Should I see more boot messages?
Here is my pin connect info:
Debug RS-232 : J3 - 23 and 24 pin via MAX3232
GND : J3 - 25 and 26 pin, J2 - 21 and 23 pin, J1 - 22 and 24 pin
VDD 3.3 V :  J2 - 22 and 24 pin, J1 - 21 and 23 pin
Reset pin J1 - 14 pin connected with pulp-up 1k resistor
BootModeSelect signal as pin 27 on J3 is not connected (float), according Eddy DK v2.1 schematics page 2 : CPU interface.

Horsa

mkremer

Dear krasimir.k,

"ROMboot" is the standard output from the microcontroller Atmel AT91SAM9G20 after a reset and without the Linux O/S Lemonix from SystemBase. In this case you can program the microcontroller conventionally.
The output is not correct if you want to use Eddy-CPU with the Linux O/S Lemonix from SystemBase. In this case please make a system recovery like described in "Eddy Programmers Guide 9.2". Then you get the (right) output as described above.

Hengist

Quote from: krasimir.k on May 29, 2011, 08:37:37 PM
I power up my Eddy CPU ver. 2.5 and got only "RomBOOT" text from RS-232 Debug interface.

This also happen if everything else is OK but the two pins corresponding to switch S6 in the SystemBase Eddy DK 2.1/2.5 are not on:
For further reference see:
"Eddy DK - Programmer Guide - Ver 2.5.1.1 - 2010. 09.15"
paragraph 2.4.2.3. S6: NAND Flash Chip Select + Data Flash Chip Select

krasimir.k

Thank you everybody for the fast answers!
I have only Eddy CPU module and not Dev. Kit (DK). So first will try to setup PC14 pin (as this is done in DK via S6 switch) and if this does not helps I will try to recover via USB. I hope that recovery can be made via USB device and not via USB host. This is not specified in System base tutorials which USB port shall be used for recovery.

Horsa

Quote from: mkremer on May 30, 2011, 04:20:16 PM
"ROMboot" is the standard output from the microcontroller Atmel AT91SAM9G20 after a reset and without the Linux O/S Lemonix from SystemBase. In this case you can program the microcontroller conventionally.
The output is not correct if you want to use Eddy-CPU with the Linux O/S Lemonix from SystemBase. In this case please make a system recovery like described in "Eddy Programmers Guide 9.2". Then you get the (right) output as described above.
Dear mkremer,

you would be right if krasimir.k would have followed correctly all hardware design recommendations:
  http://forum.trenz-electronic.de/index.php/topic,130.0.html

As krasimir.k did not connect at least PC14 and FPG signals, the microcontroller cannot read any Flash memory and thus cannot boot anything.
If the microcontroller still does not boot after krasimir.k corrects the circuit, then he can apply your tip.

krasimir.k

Thanks Horsa!
After reading the new FAQ topic about hardware design recommendations and adding missing connections, I was able to see the boot process, kernel uncompressing and initialization of network interface.
But at the end of boot process Segmentation Fault is happen when lcdfb.ko is insmod-ing (because this lcd kernel driver is missing):
Product ID = Eddy-CPU
Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000000
pgd = c1090000
[00000000] *pgd=210e9031, *pte=00000000, *ppte=00000000
Internal error: Oops: 17 [#1]
Process insmod (pid: 859, stack limit = 0xc10bc258)
Segmentation fault
insmod: cannot insert '/etc/drivers/eddy_lcdfb.ko': Unknown symbol in module (-1): No such file or directory

Anyway I was able to connect via telnet and login into Eddy CPU module  :-).

Thanks again to everybody and specially to Hengist and Horsa!