News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

Cannot connect to the CPLDs in TEBF0808

Started by johnabel, February 18, 2020, 12:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnabel

I wanted to upload a different CPLD configuration but it fails to connect...
I have Lattice Diamond 3.11
I synthesized the designs and generated the jedec files without errors.
I followed the directions here: https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/PD/TEBF0808+CPLD+Firmware:

1. Connect MiniUSB cable to J28 XMOD (XMOD2 label) --- Yes, I double-checked is not the other one

2. Set TEBF0808 DIP Switch S4-3 in ON position --- Done. The DIP switch on the TEBF0808, not on the XMODS, right? S4-1 and S4-2 are also ON (?)

3. Power ON the board (ATX Power or external 12V) - Powered on and press the button for further power on

4. Run "Lattice Diamond Programmer" -- Done

5. Select "Create new project from JTAG chain" and press "OK" -- On the start-up screen, done

6. Select Port: FTUSB-1  -- done

After scan 2 MachXO2 devices should be detected in chain -- Nope, something fails... doesn't detect the chain. I also tried FTUSB-0. See screen shot:

Update: I had Vivado open, I closed it down and repeated the operation above, same result. There are no other JTAG cables, just USB mouse, etc.

JH

Hi,
to your point2:
https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/PD/TEBF0808+Getting+Started#TEBF0808GettingStarted-DIP-SwitchesandPushButtons
S4-3 on the TEBF0808. Do not change XMOD DIPs, they must be default (1-ON,2-OFF,3-OFF,4-OFF)!

Before you start lattice software, close all Xilinx software and also check on win task manager that hw_server.exe does not run (kill this in case it's running)

Did you connect any other jtag device? or the other XMOD? if yes, remove this usb from your PC, so that you has only one JTAG device connected to your PC

Before you power on the carrier, can you open windows device manager.you should see new COM ports when you connect the the USB of the XMOD (J28). Does some new com ports appear?

FTUSB-0 or  FTUSB-1 depends a little bit on windows, I don't know why. On my place it's  FTUSB-0 (See screenshots on the attachment).
I use ATX power supply and have S4-3 ON --> all others are default.
br
John

johnabel

- I kept the XMOD DIP as default all the time. TEBF0808 DIPS: ON-ON-ON-OFF (S1 to S4)
- I checked hw_server is not running on Task Manager
- I don't have any other JTAG cable, what I have is two XMODS on the board, the unused one without cable.
- I'm using the XMOD next to the big white connector
- Yes, I see two COM ports appearing when I connect the USB cable to the laptop
- Still not sure what does 'power the board' mean - do I have to press the button that turns the FPGA on?

If I click on 'Detect Cable' there is a pop up that says:

Cable1: USB2
    FTUSB-0 (Dual RS232-HS A Location 0000)
    FTUSB-1 (Dual RS232-HS B Location 0001)

But scan still fails

The Diamond Programmer is this one I suppose (there is another called Model 300 Programmer)

JH

Quote- Still not sure what does 'power the board' mean - do I have to press the button that turns the FPGA on?
your ATX must be enabled or your external 12V power supply.
--> LEDs on the XMOD (J28) must be on (Green LED next to the XMOD button)
In case you use 12V only, you must set S4-4 to on (but you say you see USB devices,so I think you use ATX, correct)

QuoteCable1: USB2
    FTUSB-0 (Dual RS232-HS A Location 0000)
    FTUSB-1 (Dual RS232-HS B Location 0001)
I see the same. I select  FTUSB-0 (Dual RS232-HS A Location 0000) and it works on my place.

I use Lattice Diamond 3.10

br
John

johnabel

I managed to install diamond Lattice 3.10... same, doesn't work. I don't think it's the sw version.
I have tried two boards, I have swapped the XMODs, I tried both 3.10 and 3.11... S4-3 on the board is ON and DIP on the XMOD is as default...
Absolutely frustrating... Xilinx also make CPLDs, just saying ;D so users don't need an additional, possibly strange development environment.

JH

Hi,
can you download:
https://shop.trenz-electronic.de/en/Download/?path=Trenz_Electronic/Software/ToolZ

---> ToolZ-1-0-0-4.zip

enable ATX your ATX power supply.
--> LEDs on the XMOD (J28) must be on (Green LED next to the XMOD button). Module itself and fmc fan are off.

--> check that HW-server.exe is closed.
--> unzip toolz and  start ToolZ.exe
--> Press "Detect" button
--> ToolZ should detect 2 devices. See my screenshot on the attachment

br
John

johnabel

It detects two things but not on the JTAG branch, that begins to be meaningful, it looks like a driver issue(?)
I tried on a VM with Win10 but I got an error while running ToolZ, "can't load tcl86.lib" (but it's there!!)

JH

Hi,
USB --> FTDI --> Channel A / Channel B is OK

But are you sure that you are use the XMOD (J28) near the ATX power supply?
--> ToolZ show the same on my place when I connect the XMOD which are used for Xilinx SoC. -->because JTAG is not available as long as the module is not powered on.

In case you did not used the wrong XMOD, the XMOD on on J28 is this one which was delivered, you never changed them?

Can you send me the serial number of your carrier please?
br
John

johnabel

I have used J28, the one that is closer to the board corner.
I have swapped the XMODs a number of times since I started working with these boards, but anyways, none of them makes a difference.
I just tried another XMOD from another board, same results with ToolZ, nothing under JTAG
All this with the ATX PSU on, some LEDs on the board on, but not the FPGA module or the fan running.
And S4-3 in ON position.
The serial number, I suppose is the number in the little sticker with a QR code: 559 135. I also tried (briefly) with 559 136.
Honestly, I don't thing it's the carrier board. If there is no JTAG detected, for whatever reason, then nothing can be scanned.

Last experiment was to use the Tulipp board we have for current measuring and the JTAG HS3. The ribbon cable connected, of course, to J28. ToolZ detects the cable but no devices:
Opening device automatically.
INFO: ToolZ - Digilent Product Name: Digilent JTAG-HS3
INFO: ToolZ - Digilent Product ID: 31100153
INFO: ToolZ - Vendor Product: JtagHs3
No devices detected

And again, it doesn't show anything under JTAG

Emmanuel

If you power TEBF0808 ON (power button S1) the fan should work.

JH

@Emmanuel: Johnabel has problems to get access to TEBF0808 CPLD, because he want to reprogram the TEBF0808 CPLDs. Power Button activate power up/down sequencing for the MPSoc SOM and other periphery, that's not need to get access to TEBF0808 CPLDs.

At the moment I can't reproduce the issue that Johnabel has.

@Johnabel:
Digilent Programmer is not compatible with Lattice, so you must use XMOD Programmer.

What's the DIP switch settings on the XMOD? They must be S1-1 ON, S1-2 OFF, S1-3 OFF, S1-4 OFF.
You say you has exchanged the XMODs(They all have default CPLD Firmware on the XMOD?).  Normally there a 2 XMOD shipped with the board, one with Xilinx licence(which normaly has a gree dot on the programm) and one without.
This one with Xilinx licence works with Xilinx and with Lattice software. Only to be on the save side: Use this one with Xilinx License at first on the XMOD Connector for XIlinx Modul, power on the board (with power button) and check if you see Xilinx FPGA with Vivado HW-Manager. --> Maybe your CPLD of the XMOD has wrong konfiguration, in case you didn't see the Xilinx FPGA we should update one time your XMOD CPLD with default XMOD Firmware.

Can you make a picture of your board, with the setup where you try to get access to CPLDs on the TEBF0808?

br
John

johnabel

Attached are pictures of the general setup, XMOD DIP setting and carrier board DIP setting (not very clear but it's ON-ON-ON from S1 to S4).
My conclusion is that none of the Xmods has the Lattice key, with or without green dot as I have just tested.

I will use EMIO. A CPLD on a development board is not a good idea, especially having EMIO. And using a different brand is the cherry on the top.

JH

Hi,
QuoteMy conclusion is that none of the Xmods has the Lattice key, with or without green dot as I have just tested.
There is no Lattice key. Lattice works without any key.    Key is only need for Xilinx tools(it's only a software restriction from Xilinx, as long as Vivado/SDK did not found the key, they will not display jtag devices )

Set the XMOD DIP 1 to OFF and check with lattice tools (XMOD must still be powered by the tebf0808 -_> green led must be on), I expect you will see CPLD(LCMX02-256HC) from the XMOD.

What I see from your  ToolZ screenshots, say me that FTDI on the XMOD is working, but JTAG chain is seems to be open.  I think either something is with the CPLD Firmware on the XMOD(but normally not because you told me that you also try out the other XMOD which you use with Xilinx FPGA on the TEBF0808) or something is broken on  your TEBF0808.

br
John

JH

Hi,
can you check if you has connect your xmod correctly.
Check this picture:
https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/PD/TEBF0808+Getting+Started#TEBF0808GettingStarted-Overview
and your  TE_general.jpg

it looks like both XMOD are shifted by one row. --> it's a 2x6 pinheater

br
John

johnabel

I sometimes misplace them, yes, but I double checked it, one trick is to make sure the spacer sits on the screw hole.
I need a number of low speed interfaces on this board and I plan to use EMIO (suggested by you, by the way, so thanks)

JH

Can also be the perspective of your pictures.
But in case someone put the programmer on the carrier one row shifted, than it looks similar to your picture and you can also power the TE0790 programmer, but jtag chain is open . So it didn't hurt to check it out.

Did you try out to see the TE0790 CPLD with lattice tools?

But when you use EMIO it's easier, you can also use soft SPI IP core from Xilinx (or other one or own hdl implementation), in case you need more than 2 SPI controller. And there are also FMC to 2.54mm pinheader adapter available:
https://shop.trenz-electronic.de/de/23575-HW-FMC-XM105-G-Debug-Karte
this should be ok for low speed protocolls. So you can use much ore IOs than only the PMOD.

br
John