News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

TE0803 Petalinux project

Started by johnabel, February 04, 2020, 11:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnabel

I was able to build Linux for TE0803 using the BSP, I'm just curious about how to go from scratch as I may need a totally different configuration (different hdf/xsa, different peripherals, therefore different device tree, etc). I have tried that way with other boards and couldn't make it. Neither I could find a good guide to build Linux (with Petalinux) for a board without BSP

JH

Hi,

QuoteLinux for TE0803 using the BSP
which petalinux bsp did you mean? We did not provide BSP in this case like Xilinx provide it for eval board.

We include petalinux template in our reference designs which you can use with hdf/xsa. We also provide all manual changes which are done for this template:
https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/PD/TE0803+StarterKit#TE0803StarterKit-SoftwareDesign-PetaLinux
basic notes:
https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/PD/PetaLinux+KICKstart

br
John

johnabel

True, there is no explicit BSP in the Starter Kit but I think all that is in a BSP is the Petalinux folder structure that the StarterKit tcl script creates.

JH

???
did you read this link:
https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/PD/PetaLinux+KICKstart
We use petalinux build environment. The link above show the main steps which are need to generate a own petalinux project from your xas(hdf) file.
What we have changed manually described in the reference design documentation, you create all  manually instead to use petalinux template design.

General information how to use Xilinx tools are available on the Xilinx webpage.
Best regards
John

johnabel

Yes, although I didn't follow them strictly as it looks similar to the common steps in the Petalinux user guide.

JH

QuoteYes, although I didn't follow them strictly as it looks similar to the common steps in the Petalinux user guide.
Yes, its the same, its the summery of xilinx documentation which I use to generate the petalinux reference designs. 
br
John

johnabel

One of the problems I had is about the MACHINE_NAME in configuration, if set to, for example, "te0803", I get an error "te0803.dtsi file not found, add that board to DTG". Just having such a file there doesn't help, something else has to be done, I can't find what, neither Xilinx seem to be very knowledgeable/ explicit about it.

JH

What you search fore are predefined files which Xilinx use for there eval board. We do not provide these files.

We support only petalinux flow and machine name must be not set there.
The only things you must do are these steps:

• Vivado/SDK/PetaLinux 20xx.x installed (important do not mix versions!)
  • Create Vivado Project, configure PS, Export HDF (XSA for 19.2 and newer)
  • Ceate new PetaLinux project
  • Import HDF(XSA for 19.2 and newer) into project
  • Modify setup (uboot, kernel, device tree, rootfs)
  • petalinux-build
Sorry I can't help more.
br
John

johnabel

I know, it's neither a specific error or an easy one. But I appreciate the suggestions. thanks