News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

TE0300 Bootloader

Started by acorde, March 14, 2011, 08:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acorde

Hi,

I have two questions about bootloader in TE0300-01IBMLP. I want to boot from bram, copy code to ram, and then jump to execute that code.

1) If I use the "copyandbuild_boot.bat" tool, it generates a firmware.fwu file. Can I upload this FWU to the module using the "USBFirmwareUpgradeTool.exe" or I have to do it with jtag?

2) The "copyandbuild_boot.bat" tool use a "download.bit" file. Is it a only implementation bitstream, a bitstream with the bootloader or a bitstream with a bootloop?

Thank you very much, and sorry for my english.

Horsa

Quote from: acorde on March 14, 2011, 08:22:42 PM
1) If I use the "copyandbuild_boot.bat" tool, it generates a firmware.fwu file. Can I upload this FWU to the module using the "USBFirmwareUpgradeTool.exe" or I have to do it with jtag?

You can upload FWU (FirmWare Upgrade) files just with FUT (Firmware Upgrade Tool). Impact/JTAG do not know about FWU files.

acorde

THank you very much Horsa. I know that. But "copyandbuild_boot.bat" tool generates a fwu file and it tries to program a combined mcs file with jtag. I would like to know if the fwu file generated by copyandbuild_boot.bat can be programmed via usb without problems.

acorde

Thank you Horsa. As far as I known if the code will be execute from bram (a bootloop or bootloader, for example), the .bit can contain the code too. Is that right?

Horsa

Quote from: acorde on March 15, 2011, 10:22:15 AM
But "copyandbuild_boot.bat" tool generates a fwu file and it tries to program a combined mcs file with jtag.

Yes, you are right:
impact -batch impact\burnspiprom_jtag.cmd

Quote from: acorde on March 15, 2011, 10:22:15 AM
I would like to know if the fwu file generated by copyandbuild_boot.bat can be programmed via usb without problems.

Yes, you can:
  http://www.youtube.com/TrenzElectronic
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K-roP8nGKg

Ales Gorkic

Hi,

It seems that you need some clarification.
The copyandbuild_boot.bat script programes the SPI FPASH via JTAG (if connected) and generates the FWU file which can be used to program the FLASH via FUT. This script appends .elf to the .bit at specified offset.
But first you need to generate the executable (.elf) and bitstream with the bootloader (combined in download.bit). Important: the bootloader project MUST be marked to initalize BRAM.
After bootup the bootloader reads the header, copies the executable to DDR memory, verifies the executable (checksum) and boots from DDR.

Best regards,

Ales

acorde

Thank you Ales. That's what I thought. I was including a bitstream without bootloader.

I have another question. There is a comment in the main.c of bootloader code: (line 62)

"   // First write in dynamic RAM fails for unknown reasons...
   // This is an hack which works, but still doesn't explain
   // the cause...   "

I cannot debug my application with SDK. Everything seems to be ok, SDK starts debugging but debug didn't stop on main.c. It opens a wrong execute address. Can "Ram bug" be the problem? How can I debug an application executing from RAM?

Horsa

Quote from: acorde on March 16, 2011, 01:36:01 PM
I cannot debug my application with SDK. Everything seems to be ok, SDK starts debugging but debug didn't stop on main.c. It opens a wrong execute address. Can "Ram bug" be the problem? How can I debug an application executing from RAM?

What build configuration are you using?
  http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx11/SDK_doc/concepts/sdk_c_build.htm
For debugging, I recommend Debug, of course.

Ales Gorkic

Hi,

This debugger is sometimes very unpredictable. The build settings optimization should be set to "None" for a start. The project has usually optimization se to "Size optimzed" which is usually a problem for a debugger.
I usually rely only on UART for debugging.

Best regards,

Ales

acorde

Thank you very much Ales, your replies are usefull.

Maybe I didn't explain it well. I want to know how to debug a code executing it from ram. If I configure the same code in order to run from BRAM, everything works fine.