News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

Restore TE0720-03-2IF to factory default

Started by PeVa, August 09, 2019, 09:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeVa

Hello, I am looking for a procedure/files to restore the TE0720-03-2IF to factory default.

Here's the background:
1. With Vivado 2017.2 I created a .mcs file which contains my fpga bitstream, fsbl and a u-boot.elf (the u-boot.elf was copied from Petalinux 2017.2)
2. With Petalinux 2017.2 I created my image.ub
3. Using the Trenz factory default linux image, I formated the 4GB eMMC and copied over my image.ub file to the first partition, then flashed my .mcs file from above into the QSPI flash memory.
4. everything worked great (this was on  a TE0720-03-2IF purchased about a year ago). FPGA configures and loads the FSBL from which loads the u-boot from QSPI which loads the image.ub file from eMMC into RAM and runs the linux image.

Now: Doing the exact same thing with a newly purchased TE0720-03-2IF and I get upto tehe u-boot where it gives me a warning:
U-Boot 2017.01 (Apr 06 2018 - 14:13:36 -0700)

Board: Xilinx Zynq
DRAM:  ECC disabled 1 GiB
MMC:   sdhci@e0101000: 0 (eMMC)
SF: Detected s25fl256s_64k with page size 256 Bytes, erase size 64 KiB, total 64 MiB
*** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment

In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Net:   ZYNQ GEM: e000b000, phyaddr ffffffff, interface rgmii-id
eth0: ethernet@e000b000
U-BOOT for YogiPM

Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
Device: sdhci@e0101000
Manufacturer ID: 13
OEM: 14e
Name: Q2J54
Tran Speed: 25000000
Rd Block Len: 512
MMC version 5.0
High Capacity: Yes
Capacity: 3.6 GiB
Bus Width: 4-bit
Erase Group Size: 512 KiB
HC WP Group Size: 8 MiB
User Capacity: 3.6 GiB WRREL
Boot Capacity: 16 MiB ENH
RPMB Capacity: 512 KiB ENH
reading image.ub
** Unable to read file image.ub **
Zynq>

I've been unable to get u-boot to load my image.ub so I figured I'd try to reset the qspi to factory default so that I could use the factory default image to retrieve my image.  Not sure how else to proceed. Using the te0720-test_board-vivado_2017.2-build_05_20171127153006\test_board\prebuilt\boot_images\2if\u-boot\BOOT.bin, I flashed it, but apparently this .bin file doesn't include the petalinux image. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Peter.

Oleksandr Kiyenko

Hello,

This warning is not a problem it just informs you that there is no saved u-boot environment in flash so u-boot use default.
I think that in your case will be better to create an MCS file which contains your BOOT.bin and image.ub and flash it.
Use the SDK "Create Boot Image" menu, add your u-boot as usually and image.ub with offset (check for offset size in your u-boot configuration).
Then replace BOOT.bin to BOOT.mcs in "Output path:" and SDK will generate MCS file instead if BIN.
This file will be bigger and flash longer, but this way you will have a complete image for your flash.

Best regards
Oleksandr Kiyenko

PeVa

Hi Oleksandr,

Thanks for the prompt response. I think that leads me to 2 follow up questions:

1. For returning the board to factory default: Does the downloaded prebuilt (te0720-test_board-vivado_2017.2-build_05_20171127153006, or any other of the prebuilt's) come with a .mcs file already configured with the factory default image. Or if I generate my own .mcs file using the zynq_fsbl.elf, test_board.bit, u-boot.elf, image.ub included in the prebuilt's is there a way to tell which offset the u-boot is currently pointing to? I'm trying to avoid going into Linux to reconfigure the u-boot just to get the board back to a factory default.

2. The image.ub booting off the eMMC worked a year ago, but is failing to boot with the last batch of TE0720-03-2IF (as posted in the original post). Have there been changes in the design? Ideally I'd like to understand if my image is corrupted or what the issue is. I'm coming to all of this mainly from the PL side with limited knowledge on the Linux side, but I'd like to learn!

Thanks,
Peter.

Oleksandr Kiyenko

Hi Peter,

1. As I know prebuilt MCS contains FSBL, bitstream, and U-Boot, but not a kernel (with kernel it will be too big). So to create complete MCS, you need to build your own with all parts.
2. It's hard to say, Petalinux revision was changed and the device tree also. If possible try to use the latest version, it contains a lot of improvements and fixes.

Best regards
Oleksandr Kiyenko

JH

Hi,

we do not deliver modules with SoC design, flash is default empty. Only CPLD is preprogrammed.

We offer reference designs for easier startup of the basic periphery on our download area. You can use them to start, but depending on your application, you must create or change them by yourself.

Regarding your eMMC problem. We start to change eMMC Manufacturer (older assembly variant was  obsolete). Try to check if emmc is available with the newest reference design (18.3). It can be that your older linux can't identify new eMMC.

br
John