News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

TE0808: Power monitoring

Started by EnricoC, June 20, 2019, 03:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EnricoC

Hi all,
I own a TEBF0808-04 board with a TE0808-03 MPSoC module installed.

I am quite new to the FPGAs world and I am mainly interested in experimenting with high-level synthesis programming of these devices.

Since I am interested also in measuring the energy-efficiency of my applications while running, I would like to know if there is a way to measure experimentally the power drain of the MPSoC module.
I could measure the current drain at the board power supply, but I would prefer to have a finer measure, without accounting the power drain of the whole board.
I know the power drain could also be estimated using a Xilinx spreadsheet, but I would prefer to go with an experimental measure.

Are there hardware power meters on the board which could be read-out from an OS running on the Arm CPU cores?
Or otherwise, are there easily accessible pins I could use to measure voltage drops on the power lines to compute the current flow?
Or other ways to measure the module power drain?

Thanks in Advance,

Enrico

JH

Hi,
you can read out some voltages with XADC --> See Vivado HW Manager when you connect the board. This is also accessable form os on the module:
https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/18842132/XADC

Separate current measurement is not possible.

br
John

EnricoC

Hi,
thanks for your answer.

Thus, using XADC I can readout some voltage values, but can I use them in some ways to estimate the current flow? What I am really interested in is the Power drain.

If not on the module, is there a shunt resistor somewhere on the power lines on the board I could use to measure the current flow?
Or otherwise, is there an easily accessible place where I could place a shunt resistor or an hall effect sensor to perform current measurements?

Apart from measuring the current flow throw the ATX connector (and thus measure the whole board power drain), is there in your opinion a way to do this at a finer level?

JH

Hi,
no (to all questions).

The only way to measure the whole current of the module itself is: https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/PD/TEBT0808+TRM
Note: This is an test fixture only, there is no  PS periphery available (excepted JTAG) and the most IOs are loop backed. So your Starterkit design did not work with this carrier.

PS: you can disable some power domains with DIP on TEBT0808 and with CPLD Firmware of the TEBF0808 (source code is available on the download area, you must modify it, but in any case you must know which effect it has before your disable different power domains otherwise it can damage SoC). ZynqMP can also control some parts internally
See:

but I can't help more with this topic, sorry.

br
John