News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

Problem programming a TE0600 module

Started by sber, May 22, 2019, 06:38:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sber

Hello,
I'm somewhat of a beginner when it come to working with FPGAs. I'm using Xilinx ISE 13.3 and XUP USB-JTAG Programming Cable from Digilent.
I have recently received a TE0600-03IVF module + GigaBee XC6SLX carrier board, both purchased from Digikey. To test the new hardware, I have downloaded the "TE0600-GigaBee_XC6LX-blinker_test-ISE-13.2-v1.0.f79134d.zip" design refrence, plugged in the power and JTAG cables and fired up iMPACT. I noticed that the green LED on board is ON and that the correct device model was detected : XC6SLX150 - FGG484 package.

I loaded the "TE0600-150.bit" in iMPACT but I didn't load the ".mcs" file because I wasn't sure how to configure the Flash memory in iMPACT (I didn't find the right Flash model in the drop down menu), I thought that I should work without writing the flash memory.

When I launched the programming, it failed. Here is the log:
INFO:iMPACT - Current time: 22 May 2019 15:38:34
PROGRESS_START - Starting Operation.
Maximum TCK operating frequency for this device chain: 25000000.
Validating chain...
Boundary-scan chain validated successfully.
'1': Programming device...
LCK_cycle = NoWait.
LCK cycle: NoWait
done.
'1': Reading status register contents...
  • CRC ERROR                                                              :         0
    [1] IDCODE ERROR                                                           :         0
    [2] DCM LOCK STATUS                                                        :         0
    [3] GTS_CFG_B STATUS                                                       :         0
    [4] GWE STATUS                                                             :         0
    [5] GHIGH STATUS                                                           :         0
    [6] DECRYPTION ERROR                                                       :         0
    [7] DECRYPTOR ENABLE                                                       :         0
    [8] HSWAPEN PIN                                                            :         0
    [9] MODE PIN M[0]                                                          :         0
    [10] MODE PIN M[1]                                                         :         0
    [11] RESERVED                                                              :         0
    [12] INIT_B PIN                                                            :         0
    [13] DONE PIN                                                              :         0
    [14] SUSPEND STATUS                                                        :         0
    [15] FALLBACK STATUS                                                       :         0
    INFO:iMPACT:2219 - Status register values:
    INFO:iMPACT - 0000 0000 0000 0000
    INFO:iMPACT:579 - '1': Completed downloading bit file to device.
    INFO:iMPACT:188 - '1': Programming completed successfully.
    LCK_cycle = NoWait.
    LCK cycle: NoWait
    INFO:iMPACT - '1': Checking done pin....done.
    '1': Programming terminated. DONE did not go high.
    PROGRESS_END - End Operation.
    Elapsed time =      9 sec.
From what I've read online, the "DONE did not go high" message is indicative of a hardware problem, I might be wrong. I need help interpreting the status register, I thought it was bizarre that all signals are low.

I don't think that the JTAG programmer that I'm using is the cause of this problem, I've already used it with an other Spartan-6 device successfully.

Any idea what is the problem ?

JH

Hi,
which carrier did you use? Which external power supply? Did you set some current limit, in case you use laboratory power supply?

PS: Why did you use ISE13.3? The last ISE version 14.7 (last version since 2013 ).
And it seems there was only an special update for Win10:
Which OS did you use?
brJohn

sber

Hi,
Thanks for the reply John. The issue has just been resolved, it turned to be a power supply problem.
When I was searching for power supply for the carrier board and the FPGA module, I couldn't find any information about the required voltage. On one of the diagrams on Gigabee XC6SLX150 TRM page, I saw that it needed a 3.3V power rail connected through the B2B connector, so I decided to get a 3.3V power supply.

Looking at the schematic of the carrier board trying to find what the issue was, I noticed the ST1S10PUR power regulator and understood that, since its input was a 3.3V, its was below the 2.9V threshold which kept the FPGA on reset the whole time. I also saw, on the last page of the schematic document, that "Vsup = 4V - 18V".

Now when I properly power the board, the green LED blink instead of being always ON when I had the issue.

I guess it's rookie mistake, I thought about deleting the topic.

Saïd

JH

Hi,
no problem, this can happens.
I'm glad to hear it's working now.

br
John