News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

UART not working with TE0790 (placed on TE0720)

Started by shaikhkh, March 01, 2019, 09:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaikhkh

Hello,

We had been using the older version of XMOD FTDI JTAG Adapter for debug UART on our Te0720-02-3IF board. We were always able to access the debug uart via the XMOD FTDI adaptor using a normal serial terminal (minicom etc). I recently bought the new TE0790 (xilinx compatible version). I saw that the JTAG device is identified without any probelm in Vivado 2018.1. But I cannot access the debug UART via minicom. As per my understanding, the default mode of the chip supports JTAG and UART simultaneously. But the UART doesnt seem to work. I do see the red LED on the TE0790 blink on keypress but I never see anything on my serial console. The same setup with the old chip works perfectly fine. Any help would be apprecialted.

Regards,
Khizer

JH

Hello,
yes uart and jtag should work simultaneously.

So on the same HW with same design, your UART of your older XMOD works and the newer one not?

Your older XMOD used the default CPLD Firmware? Or this one where UART RX/TX is swapped? Or your own version?
Firmware is available on the download area. Can you check how RX/TX is connected on your carrier?

br
John

Antti Lukats

TE0790 all variants are fully compatible, there has been no change in functionality.

You can test the uart with ECHO loop, if you short RXD to TXD then what you type in putty or other terminal program would be echoed back.

shaikhkh

Thanks a lot for both of your comments.

I tested the echo loop that was good. I figured out in documentation that we indeed have the  UART RX/TX swapped.
I updated the CPLD firmware and now everything is back to life.

Thanks again for your help!

Regards,
Khizer