News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

Te0720 DDR+microblaze

Started by SF, February 13, 2019, 02:11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SF

Dear all,
I am trying to puild petalinux for microblze but i need DDR .i am not using ARM Cortex-A9.
I tried with mig but i can not find any constraints of DDS. i dont know if DDR is only connected to PS or I can use it also im PL with Te0720 bead.
any suggestion please.
LG

Oleksandr Kiyenko

Hello,

You can access DDR memory from PL. To do that you need to Add Zynq PS block to your project, in this block you need to enable DDR interface and one or more of AXI HP interfaces.
This interface is memory mapped and you can access DDR. As a software part, you need only FSBL.

Best regards
Oleksandr Kiyenko

JH

SF

thank u so much for relpy,
i know i can access it from PS but problem is my project its only in PL
i used Memory inetrface generator to access DDR without PS but it sems there is some problem with the clock .
LG

JH

Hi,
did you checked the xilinx link, i've send you?
br
John

SF

Hi John ,
yes i did but they used microblaze + Zynq Processing system.
I need to use onl microblze because of some safety requirement of my project .
do u have any suggestion please
LG

JH

Hi,
not possible on TE0720 with Zynq and DDR connected on PS. For this combination you must use  the why like Xilinx has described.
In case you want only FPGA, change module, for example  TE0712:

br
John

SF

I see thank u so mach for ur help
LG

Antti Lukats

Hi SF,

to make it really CLEAR:

you can use DDR with Microblaze (or any other soft CPU), and you do not need to use the PS CPU in your project. This is possible.

But in this case you should consider the PS as "black box that includes DDR controller", so you let the PS to start and initialize the DDR and expose the DDR to the PL. Then you STOP the PS CPU. It would not do anything in your design.

But if you want to use ZYNQ with PS DISABLED, then this is not possible per Xilinx, as Zynq FPGA has not BOOT interface, booting is always done by the PS CPU. This is Xilinx concept, all other soms with Zynq from any other vendor would have same behaviour. FGPA on ZYNQ can not boot all by itself.