News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

TE0782 sd card boot support

Started by ataulbasit, September 21, 2018, 09:24:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ataulbasit

Hi,

I am not sure if the problem I am facing is relevant but since my design is based on TE-0782 so I am posting it here. I am working on a new product where I will be designing my own carrier/base board for TE-0782 module. Issue is that I need to provide SD card boot support so that the Zynq device can boot form there. As the only MMC controller on TE-0782 is connected to the eMMC it wont be possible for me to use that. So, my question is that is there any way to enable Zynq on TE-0782 boot form SD card. 

One of the possible options that I can see is using USB media controller (e.g. USB2244 by Microchip). While I understand that it will enable me to access SD card during normal operation, I am not certain if this will work during boot time as well.

Alternatively, I would be highly grateful if anyone can point me towards any other resource/forum where I can discuss this issue.

Regards,

JH

ataulbasit

Hi,

Yes, unfortunately I need two USB and two Ethernet ports. Additionally, I'd also need 64 GByte eMMC (this option doesn't seem to be available with TE-0783). Also, interestingly, I cant find XC7Z035 variant of TE-0783 on the Trenz shop (https://shop.trenz-electronic.de/en/Products/Trenz-Electronic/TE07XX-Zynq-SoC/TE0783-Zynq-SoC/). Is it something new or something that has been discontinued? (My client requires XC7Z035 device)

Thanks for the reply.

Regards,

stephan_hochmueller

Hi,

what do you want to boot from sd card? We are running Linux on the board where the rootfs is placed on a sd card which is connected via the fpga (emio). (There are two sd card controller, that one connected to mmc is still working)

Thus your boot sequence is the following:
- boot fsbl from qspi,
- fsbl is loading the bitstream
- fsbl is loading uboot from qspi
- uboot is loading kernel & dtb from sd card
- uboot is starting kernel with rootfs on sd card.

This works fine as long you don't want to reconfigure you fpga from linux.

Regards, Stephan

JH

Hi,

ok so primary boot from USB is not possible on 7 series Zynq. But secondary boot (for example uboot) is, see:

[
lihttp://www.wiki.xilinx.com/U-Boot+USB+Driver][/li]
[/list]
So boot FSBL, opt. Bitstream and U-Boot from QSPI and load linux and other stuff later with uboot from USB.

Greater eMMC is possible, but we must check availability. And there is a minimum quantity for custom order, please write request to sales@trenz-electronic.de.
CX7Z035 is also possible, we do not offer all possible assembly variants on our shop. In case you need a footprint compatible assembly variant, write request on our support. Prices depends on quantity and availability.

br
John

ataulbasit

Hi,

QuoteThus your boot sequence is the following:
- boot fsbl from qspi,
- fsbl is loading the bitstream
- fsbl is loading uboot from qspi
- uboot is loading kernel & dtb from sd card
- uboot is starting kernel with rootfs on sd card.

I'll discuss it with my client.

QuoteAnd there is a minimum quantity for custom order, please write request to sales@trenz-electronic.de

Will do that, thanks.

Regards,

JH

Hi Stephan,

thank you for the hint. You are right, SD over PL is also possible. PL must be programmed in this case with bitstream where SD is connected.

br
John